LACare - Lakes Area Care, Inc.
Emergency food for families residing in the Burnet Consolidated Independent School District.
LACare provides the following services:
Nutrition Classes are offered on most Fridays. Clients are taught how to read/interpret labels, portion sizes, etc. The nutritionist provides recipes and demonstrates products also.
Prescription Medication Needs
Vouchers are given for antibiotic medicine needs. Each family has a limit of $100 for the year. We partner with HEB for the prescription program.
Serves as a referral clearinghouse for other services and resources located in the community.
Healthy Options Program for the Elderly provides an additional 18-25 pounds of groceries for any person who is 55 years or older. The HOPE Program distributes on Thursday following the second Tuesday of each month, 9-11 AM. The dates for 2021 are as follows:
Spiritual guidance for all, including Bibles and other books located on our “Food for the Soul” bookshelves.
Opportunities for Williamson & Burnet Counties (formerly WBCO)
Opportunities for WBC Community Services (formerly WBCO) provide emergency utility assistance and more for families and individuals living in Williamson and Burnet counties. Opportunities will meet with clients by appointment only.
Those interested in making an appointment for these services may contact Opportunities at 512.255.2202.
An application must be completed and submitted before an appointment can be made with the Opportunities staff. Applications are available at the offices of LACare.
Onsite services include the following:
- Blood pressure screening and monitoring (2nd and 4th Fridays of each month)
- Glucose screening and monitoring (2nd and 4th Fridays of each month)
- Counseling about basic health needs (2nd and 4th Fridays of each month)
- Immunizations (4th Wednesday of each month)
- Sexually transmitted disease testing & treatment (4th Wednesday of each month)
- Emergency preparedness (4th Wednesday of each month)
- Disease investigation (4th Wednesday of each month)
- Audiometer loan program (4th Wednesday of each month)
- Education on preventing child abuse & neglect (4th Wednesday of each month)
- Poison prevention (4th Wednesday of each month)
- Referrals and support to local health care and medical care services as required
- Additional services are also available.